Match Report: Bradford Park Avenue 3-4 Tamworth

Tamworth took the spoils in a seven-goal thriller at the Horsfall Stadium, holding on despite a late Avenue rally. This brought an end to the Yorkshire side’s unbeaten league run, that had seen them defeat high-fliers such as Brackley Town and Blyth Spartans.
The visitors made a dream start, taking a lead within the opening two minutes via Connor Taylor’s low drive.
Despite the early blow, the in-form hosts provided the perfect response shortly after, drawing level when Oli Johnson provided a neat finish that flashed across Rowley and nestled in the bottom corner.
The Lambs soon regained a lead, however, as Callum Powell struck low from distance past the outstretched palm of Steven Drench.
There was little improvement after the break, and Avenue were punished for squandering a series of chances when Aman Verma flicked a header over the head of a despairing Drench to make it 3-1.
Avenue continued to pose an attacking threat in spite of the deficit, with Nicky Clee in particular causing endless problems for Tamworth on the left flank. He was incensed to see two of his cross fizz across the box without being capitalised on, as the hosts’ desperation intensified.
They then fell victim to an unfortunate deflection that allowed Zack Kotwica’s tame effort to wrong-foot Drench, extending Tamworth’s advantage to three goals.
This failed to dampen Avenue spirits, and the home side struck back with two late goals to give supporters hope that they wouldn’t be heading home having witnessed a loss.
Substitute Adam Nowakowski made an instant impact, heading home from a deep cross on the right to spark a rejuvenation in Avenue’s performance.
Mere minutes later, substitute Drew Ricketts was judged to have handled the ball in the area, allowing prolific forward Johnson to step up and send Rowley the wrong way.
Tamworth were reduced to ten men in the dying minutes, as Powell received his marching orders for a second bookable offence after committing two cynical fouls in the space of as many minutes.
Unfortunately for Avenue, this marked the end of the eventful climax, as the referee brought proceedings to a close barely a minute after the card was issued.

Thanks Tom for the report.

Share this page: