Bradford (Park Avenue) A.F.C 0-0 Bradford City (Bradford City win 3-2 on penalties)

Tom Banks Memorial Trophy

Penalty shootout sees Bradford City come out as winners in the Tom Banks Memorial Trophy

The game saw both sides push each other till the very end with it coming down to penalties to decide the victors. Despite the result Bradford (Park Avenue) it was another good pre-season performance from Garry Thompson’s side as they managed to match the efforts of their League Two counterparts.

1st Half

The first half saw both sides match each other in terms of possession, with City just edging out the Avenue in terms of the amount of chances they created, however they failed to make any of this count.

The first chance of the game came in the 10th minute when Gardner reacted quickly to get his effort on target which was subsequently saved O’Donnell in the Bradford City goal.

Andrew was then called into his first real action of the day when his quick-fire double saves saw him deny Wood and Anderson to keep the scores level.

Due to hot conditions the night both sides agreed to a water break in the 20th minute, allowing the players momentary respite from the heat.

The half didn’t really pick up much from that point with City managing a few efforts, none of which were really any trouble to Andrew. They came closest in the 44th minute, however good defending by Croft saw the oncoming shot blocked to keep it 0-0.

2nd Half

Bradford (Park Avenue) came out much brighter in the second half with Holmes’ effort hitting the bar after he was played in Hurst. Gardner also came close again with another shot on target which was unfortunately palmed over by the keeper.

After a collision in the box in the 71st minute, the referee award a penalty to Bradford City. Ismail stepped up to take the spot kick, but he saw his effort hit the post before finally being cleared, much to the delight of the Avenue faithful.

Bradford (Park Avenue) did have a couple more chances in the second half however none of these were enough to test O’Donnell in the oppositions goal, leading to a penalty shootout.


Former Bradford City player, Garry Thompson stepped up to take the first penalty which he put away with ease however it wasn’t until the 6th penalty until the net was found again with Bradford City drawing the shoot-out level after three penalties each. Croft then saw his effort go wide, while Morris managed to put his away to give City the lead as it moved onto the final penalties. Holmes stepped to level the tie at 2-2 however it wasn’t enough as Staunton put away his penalty giving City a 3-2 win in the shootout.


Bradford (Park Avenue)

   1. Charlie Andrew (J. Bennet 45’)

   2. Jake Croft

   3. Trialist (Trialist 62’)

   4. Mitchell Lund

   5. Jon Moran

   6. Trialist (L. Rathbone 62’)

   7. Alex Hurst

   8. Ben Hedley (S. Wright 62’)

   9. Trialist (E. Holmes 45’)

   10. Shaun Gardner (G. Thompson 62’)

   11. Matty Clark

Unused subs; None

Bradford City

    1. Richard O’Donnell

    2. Ethan Sefton (F. Cousin-Dawson 78’)

    3. Joe Riley

    4. Daniel Devine

    5. Jackson Longridge

    6. Anthony O’Connor (C. Morris 78’)

    7. Caelin Rooney (C. Shanks 62’)

    8. Luca Colville (Z. Ismail 62’)

    9. Omari Patrick (R. Staunton 78’)

   11. Connor Wood

   ?. Jermaine Anderson (E. Goldthorpe 45’)

Unused subs; None

Cards: None

Referee: Michael Brownsett

Assistants: Paul Jarvis, Joe Phillips

Attendance: 1171