Injury Brings Premature End To Campion Clash

An injury to Horsfall College of Sport scholar Lewis Johnson brought a premature end to Bradford’s sixth pre-season friendly.

James Bicknell’s Campion provided the opposition for what was a close-fought yet good-natured encounter until the abandonment.

The first opportunity of the afternoon fell to Campion’s Alex Cussack, who volleyed wide after meeting Leon Hurles-Brook’s cross from the left.

After an bright start from the hosts, Bradford began to find their rhythm and Jamie Spencer was unlucky to see his teasing delivery elude the outstretched leg of a trialist by mere inches.

Two Bradford trialists then combined well before sending one through on goal, but Danny Brown recovered well to make a last-ditch challenge.

The hosts, however, continued to pose a threat and almost opened the scoring when Talent Ndlovu struck with power from the edge of the eighteen-yard box. Fortunately for Bradford’s trialist goalkeeper, the effort flew narrowly wide of the post.

Omar Habeeb then slipped through to Cussack, who opened up to shoot but was challenged strongly by the recovering Spencer.

Shortly after thwarting Cussack in front of goal, Spencer fired Bradford into the lead with a long-range effort that rattled the post before nestling in the bottom corner.

Campion were rallied by the opener and replied instantly, drawing level thanks to a chipped effort from Hurles-Brook.

Aiden Day almost edged Campion ahead on the stroke of half-time but his effort from around 25-yards failed to find the right side of the post.

HALF-TIME: Campion 1-1 Bradford (Park Avenue)

Campion’s tempo quickened after the break and James Bicknell’s side were on the front foot instantly. Hurles-Brook forced Bradford’s newly-introduced trialist stopper to scramble across and save his thunderous effort early on in the second-half.

A golden opportunity then fell to Adam Nowakowski, who headed over from a corner despite beating his marker in the air.

Jason Davis was introduced to the right-hand side of Campion’s midfield after the interval and caused endless problems with his incisive darts down the wing. An audacious half-volley from deep on the right hammered the woodwork before dropping into the grateful clutches of Bradford’s goalkeeper.

Davis then turned provider, delivering the ball on a plate for Ben Bodle but watching as the latter blazed over from just inside the six-yard box.

It was then the turn of the visitors to come close to taking the lead in sensational fashion, as a trialist shook the crossbar with a dipping free-kick from distance before Nowakowski headed over the rebound.

Mark Bower’s side did eventually regain their lead, as scholar Ross Boyle accelerated down the right flank before pulling back to a trialist, who steered past Declan Lambton.

Two Horsfall College of Sport scholars, Matthew Rowntree and Jordan Botwood, then linked up well to send the latter through on goal. Lambton, however, was alert to the danger and pounced at Botwood’s feet before the young forward could strike.

With nine minutes remaining on the clock, a collision between Lewis Johnson and Jason Davis left the former on the ground. After receiving treatment for a lengthy period, the referee abandoned the game.

After visiting Bradford Royal Infirmary, it was confirmed that the young defender had suffered ‘significant’ ankle ligament damage and would begin rehabilitation with Sports Rehabilitator Tally Clayton and specialists from the BRI after resting for a number of days.

Campion A-A Bradford (Park Avenue)

Campion: Lambton, Hassan, Farnhill, Ndlovu, Hall (c), Brown, Aitken, Day, Cussack, Habeeb, Hurles-Brook.

Substitutes: Kendall, Bodle, Davis, Parchment.

Bradford (Park Avenue): Trialist (Trialist 45′), Boyle, Ridley, Spencer, Nowakowski, Branson (L. Johnson 45′), Trialist (Boshell 61′), Trialist (Ali 74′), Trialist (Trialist 61′), Trialist (Botwood 74′), Trialist (Rowntree 61′).

Referee: James Price