MATCH REPORT – Bradford (Park Avenue) 1 – 0 Hereford

Late Jacob Blyth penalty gives Bradford Park Avenue their second win of the season

1-0 win at home against Hereford FC means back-to-back wins.

The home team Bradford (Park Avenue) came into the game on the back of their first win of the season against Curzon. Their aim was to build on that and ensure it wasn’t a false dawn.

Their opposition Hereford came into the fixture in fine form having not lost in their last 6 matches and coming off a 2-1 win in the FA Cup and a 4-2 demolition of Boston United.

The game started slowly with chances coming few and far between, Avenue looking to create through crosses from Reece Staunton into the target man Jacob Blyth.

This led to a near chance for joint top scorer Jamie Spencer whose shot from the edge of the box was blocked by a Hereford center back.

Hereford’s first clear cut chance came in the form of an Evans cross dropping to right-winger Mclean who scuffed his shot into Sykes-Kenworthy’s gloves.

Both teams looked to build up quickly, Hereford with their midfield double pivot and Bradford using the height of Blyth with Dockerty making runs off him.

The last chance off the half came in the 32nd minute when Hereford’s Tyler failed to claim a Staunton free-kick, the ball falling nicely to Hopper whose attempt was cleared just in front of the 6 yard box with the keeper in no man’s land.

Hereford began the second half lively, building up on the left then creating a chance for Hanson just on the edge of the box. His shot was collected calmly by Avenue’s keeper.

A long period of possession for Bradford lead to Thomas Angell having a great chance in the 57th minute, as he faked onto his weaker right foot and shot into a Hereford defender.

Clever footwork from Reece Staunton who drifted over to the right wing gave him space to get a shot off which was saved comfortably by Hereford’s Cian Tyler.

In the 84th minute the pressure paid off. Hopper was slotted in behind on the right and was bundled over winning a penalty for the home side.

Jacob Blyth Bradford’s number 9 then blasted the penalty into the top left corner making it 1-0 with 5 minutes to go.

From that point onwards, Avenue’s only aim was to run down the clock as much as possible. They did this successfully not allowing Hereford any late chances with game finishing 1-0.

Bradford (PA) now see themselves off the bottom of the table. This puts them in a great position going into their next game against Blyth Spartans on Tuesday.


Referee: Helen Conley

Writer: Ethan Illingworth