MATCH REPORT – Bradford (Park Avenue) 1 – 0 Telford United


After a cold warm up, both sets of players and the 400 fans in attendance, were ready for a big game. At 19:45 the referee, Helen Conley, kicked the pair off. 

The game started slowly but it saw AFC Telford keep a fair share of the ball. Mark Bowers men couldn’t seem to pick up the ball and string a success of passes, as Telford were comfortable in breaking their press. Although the possession was with the visitors, Bradford hit first, only to be ruled out, as Jacob Blyth was penalised for handball in the build up.

In the 23rd minute controversy struck and Kevin Wilkes was left fuming. A high clearance from Bradford (PA) meant the ball was out in the eyes of the Telford manager. Conley and her assistants did not call it. This lead to the first booking of the day as Thomas Angell flew into a hard tackle leaving George Burroughs down and hurt.

Ten minutes later saw the second goal of the match, but the first one added to the scoreboard. Another long ball sent up by the goalkeeper, George Sykes-Kenworthy, was taken down by striker Jordan Preston who intelligently turned on the ball and struck it firmly into the bottom right corner from the edge of the box.

A well created chance was made from Telford’s winger Montel Gibson, as he weaved his way past two players and saw his shot skim the post and go wide. Wilkes’ men picked up two yellow cards before the half (Nathan Blisset and Adam Senior) as they went in 1-0 down. 

Second Half began with a different tempo as both teams wanted to come out strong. In (Park Avenue)’s case, it was scoring another to put themselves in the driving seat, and AFC Telford just needed to equalise to then push on for another. 

Bradford start off better out of the two, as within three minutes Sheffield United loanee Thomas Angell has a chance cleared off the line. The ball bounced and bobbled across the box with no Telford defender coming close to taking charge of the danger meaning Angell was allowed to shoot. 

Wilkes made the first substitution of the match, as he looked to become more attacking. He brought off Bood for Williams in the 67th minute. 

We reached the 80th minute with either teams creating any threat to each other, so Avenue boss thought to see out the game as he brings off goal scorer Jordan Preston for Harrison Hopper. 

Four added minutes were called by the fourth official and Bradford tried their hardest to stay in the corner for them all.

Telford’s night finished in another loss. Still rock bottom with a tough rest of the season. As for Bradford (Park Avenue), they can celebrate three wins in a row, but must go again this Saturday against Kings Lynn Town.

MATCH REPORT FROM @finlaysturgesSJ from Leeds Beckett University Student Journalism

Travelling to the Kings Lynn Town match? Tickets can be purchased here


Arriving by Car

The Walks stadium is located on Tennyson Road, post code PE30 5PB. Exit the A47 at the Hardwick roundabout and take the exit for King’s Lynn (Hardwick Road). Follow this road for 1 mile until the next roundabout. Take the 4th exit (Tennyson Avenue) and the stadium is 1 mile away.

Arriving by Train

The stadium is just 5 minutes away by foot through the Walks park. Exit the train station by the main doors and turn left. Turn left at the church and walk across the park to the stadium.


There is limited parking at the stadium, as a result supporters are encouraged to park at St James’ Multi-storey, just a 5 minute walk from the stadium. Post Code: PE30 1BT


Matchday programmes are available from the ticket office, via the online shop, or from sellers located at various places in the stadium on matchdays.