Match Report: Bradford vs Leamington

With our visitors sat in 17th, Bradford (Park Avenue) came into Tuesday night’s game against Leamington looking to put some daylight between themselves and the play-off challengers.

In similar fashion to the game against Chester just a couple of weeks ago, Avenue came out of the blocks quickly and just three minutes in the Horsfall Stadium were on their collective feet to celebrate Conor Branson’s third minute strike.

Branson received the ball, shifted it on to his favoured foot before unleashing an unstoppable shot that flew into the top corner, leaving visiting goalkeeper Tony Breeden, with no chance.

The next significant chance came to the visitors. Breeden’s free-kick reached Leamington talisman, Colby Bishop. He tried to cleverly lob the ball over Charlie Andrew but he was up to the task and caught easily.

Bishop was to try his luck again. Good work from Ahmed Obeng resulted in the striker receiving the ball before creating a yard but could only fire wide of Andrew’s right-hand post.

An equlaiser could have perhaps been predicted and it duly came on 26 minutes, Bishop headed against the crossbar but Obeng was readily available to pounce on the rebound to equal up the scores.

In-form Jake Beesley looked to continue his impressive run of form with a snapshot from just inside the box, but Breeden got strong wrists on it to turn it behind as Bradford searched for a go-ahead goal.

Five minutes before the break, and Bradford would get their reward. Macaulay Langstaff, who was denied by the flag twice on Satuday was celebrating this one in it’s entirety.

A flowing move involving Luca Havern, Lewis Knight and Beesley resulted in the on-loan York City forward receiving the ball and curling wonderfully beyond Breeden to put his side back in front. 

Two almost became three on the stroke of half-time. Knight’s teasing ball in was met by Avenue captain Shane Killock but he could only send the ball sailing over the bar off his forehead.

The second-hald started in relatively quiet fashion in comparison to the way the first period ended, and ten minutes past with no event of note.

That came courtesy of Knight, his free-kick struck the top of the wall and deflected out for a corner as Bradford searched for an elusive third goal.

Jordan Murphy looked to take the initiative for his side. He drove inside with the ball and tried his luck from range but it was well, well over as the visitors remained frustrated.

Jack Edwards will have been kicking himself with the chance he missed at the back post after good work from Junior English on the right-flank.

Substitute Danny East came close with a nice effort and ever-lively Knight burst into the box with no Avenue man in there to meet his cross as both sides looked for the next goal.

The final big chance of the game came for Beesley however his curling effort went wide of the post, an outcome he will be disappointing with considering his rich vein of goalscoring form in recent weeks.

In the end Avenue ground out the three points to make it four games unbeaten.


Bradford (Park Avenue)

Andrew, Ross, Lowe, Hurst (Clee 82′), Killock, Havern, Knight (Nowakowski 86′), Branson, Beesley, Langstaff (East 68′), Spencer.


Breeden, English, Gudger (Lane 75′), Clarke (Wilding 75′), Hood, Mace, Murphy, Flanagan (Taylor 88′), Bishop, Edwards, Obeng.