MATCH REPORT: York City 2-1 Bradford (Park Avenue)

Despite a spirited performance, the Avenue once again fell victim to the same team they lost to at the Horsfall Stadium last week. 

But unlike last week, the Avenue players must have left the pitch feeling hard done by after putting in a much improved performance, and were probably the better team for most periods of the match but unfortunately, as has happened too much this season, mistakes came back to haunt them and they were unable to leave the Crescent Stadium with any of the spoils. 

York began the game with plenty of possession, but Avenue gradually got more and more involved, and by the second half were, in most instances, the more dominant team – but by then, the damage had mostly been done, as York had taken the lead in the first 15 minutes of the game courtesy of Macauley Langstaff, who brilliantly kept his composure to turn the ball home after some wonderful play down the left from Adriano Moke created the opportunity. 

Avenue, however, could have had a leveller almost instantly as Nowakowski, returning to the squad from injury, headed agonizingly over the bar. Another chance soon followed for Bradford as a mix up in the York defence led to newest signing, Ryan Hall, finding himself through on goal, but in a difficult position his touch was too heavy and that allowed the hosts goalkeeper to race out and clear the ball before Hall could get to it. 

Chances then came for York to double their lead, but their shots weren’t threatening the returning Avenue keeper, Joe Green, and he did well to deal with a flurry of crosses that were sent into the box by the York fullbacks.  

Avenue went into half time trailing 1-0, but importantly still in the game. As both sides returned from the break, it was Bradford who started to take more control of it, with the York fans getting visibly frustrated by them not being able to do much. York did have their chances to double their lead before they eventually did, Kieran Green coming closest after running through the Avenue defence but his thumping shot went just wide. Avenue, though, had chances themselves, the biggest coming through Ryan Hall but his efforts were superbly saved by the York City goalkeeper. 

Despite the chances, it was York who scored the vital second goal just ten minutes from time, but it really should have been avoided. Captain Burrow was played through, but his shot was straight at Joe Green, but Green unfortunately let the ball slide through his hands and into the net; it was a harsh one for the keeper who was returning from injury as he had played a really good game beforehand. 

It was always going to be difficult for Bradford to come back from such a deficit with a short amount of time left, but they didn’t give up and substitute Liam Hughes grabbed a consolation with a great strike, but it was too little too late as it ended up being the last kick of the game. 

The result means that the Avenue remain bottom of the table, 4 points behind Blyth Spartans and 9 points behind Kettering Town.