Bradford (Park Avenue) will be looking to tighten their grip on top spot after retaining it with a 2-0 win over AFC Telford United last Saturday.
Mark Bower’s side return to the Horsfall Stadium for the first time in three weeks to host a Southport side that are hovering precariously over the relegation zone.
The Sandgrounders, however, have embarked on a tremendous run of form after a difficult start to the campaign. Saturday’s opponents haven’t lost since October, completing a 4-1 rout of Kidderminster Harriers and knocking Boreham Wood out of the Emirates FA Cup along the way.
Despite their recent results, the Port will be wary of a Bradford side that have set the standard in the Vanarama National League North. Their ascension to the league summit has been a fascinating one to watch and they put in-form Telford to the sword in convincing fashion last week.
Mark Bower faces a selection headache ahead of the game after several changes were made in the victory at New Bucks Head. Mark Ross deputised in the heart of defence and shone in Shane Killock’s absence, whilst Jamie Spencer will be pushing for a recall after stepping off the bench and notching Bradford’s second.
In This Weeks Programme:
Midfielder Ben McKenna tackles our questions and recalls a stunning goal scored whilst playing for today’s opponents.
Tale’s From The Horton End:
Regular columnist Paul Town interviews veteran supporter John Laban, reminiscing on time’s gone by at the Horton Park Avenue ground.
Half Season Tickets Now On Sale
Following the launch of our new online store, we’re pleased to announce that our half season tickets are now on sale, meaning fans new and old can benefit from savings on a match day. With Christmas coming up it’s the perfect excuse to treat yourself, your family or even your friends.
Head To Head: Last 5 Games
Knowing The Opposition
The 48-year-old returned to the Merseyrail Community Stadium for his fourth spell as manager ahead of the 2018/19 campaign. He has also enjoyed spells in charge of Runcorn F.C Halton, AFC Telford United and Stalybridge Celtic having represented the likes of Preston North End and Accrington Stanley as a player.
One To Watch:
A product of Blackpool’s academy, 23-year-old playmaker Charles is crucial for Southport. He joined the club in January 2018 after spending the first half of the 2017/18 season in Yorkshire with F.C Halifax Town. The former Fleetwood Town and AFC Fylde man has also represented Northern Ireland at youth level.
To celebrate Avenue sitting at the top of the league as we go into this Saturday’s fixture, the club are offering FREE entry to all children 16 years and under when accompanied by an adult.
Other promotions and features on the day are :-
- All Children 16 and under FREE with paying adult or club season ticket holder
- All season ticket holders from any sports club will receive 3 bottled beers (Coors and Magners) for the price of 2 on presentation of your season ticket
- GIN BAR with a wide range of Gins and mixers
- Score updates from all matches involving local clubs will be provided throughout the afternoon and match
- Horsfall’s Famous Chips and Gravy on sale all day in The Avenue kiosk
- Great range of craft Saltaire brewery beers
- Kids and families can stretch their legs in the open spaces around Horsfall, sit under cover in the main stand, join the Bus Shelter home fans the behind goal, watch score updates in the warm clubhouse, or stand close to the action on the pavilion side, all with a beer, wine or cider or of course hot drink.
- Parking available on site for just £2
- After match drinks and chat with players and manager in clubhouse for Man of the Match presentation
- One of the best ground PA soundtracks ever conceived
- Half season tickets available for purchase on the day